Pregnancy calls for all the telltales and grand mom stories of what to be done and what to be avoided. Sometimes it is difficult to differentiate myth form reality. Following is a list that will help clear confusion on precautions during pregnancy –
Medical Precautions during Pregnancy -
- Ensure you go for a pre – pregnancy test; if you are under a medical treatment for a particular illness, consult the doctor on the continuation
- As prescribed by the doctor make sure you take regular supplements of Folic acid. Also take sufficient vitamin supplements.
- Consult your doctor for the vaccination you need to take during pregnancy
- Discuss all family health related problems with your doctor before you conceive. This will help you to take measure against hereditary diseases.
- Do not take over the counter drugs. In case of any illness during the pregnancy immediately consult your doctor.
Diet Precautions during Pregnancy–
- Have protein rich food, it is important for the development of the baby’s brain
- Try not to avoid fat/ cholesterol as it is require for the elasticity of the skin and the development of your baby
- Stop habits like smoking and drinking, it affect the development of your baby and can lead to mental retardation, facial deformity, birth defect and other undesired results
- Avoid drinking coffee or tea during pregnancy as caffeine has adverse effects on the child’s growth
- Usually expecting women are advised to eat for two, but in reality a pregnant women need to have just 200 calories more per day during the last 3 months
- Try and take frequent small and nutritious meals during the day
- Avoid practicing a fast during pregnancy, this affects the health of the baby and the mother
- Do not eat frozen or leftover food
Travelling Precautions during Pregnancy–
- While travelling avoid 2 -3 wheelers as they give you a bumpy ride
- Carry extra supply of medicines while travelling
- Avoid an air travel after 28 weeks of pregnancy
- Consider taking a long journey during the second trimester
- Travelling by train is safer than any other mode
General Precautions during Pregnancy –
- Avoid wearing heels during pregnancy as it will make it difficult for you to walk due to the increase in weight. Ensure your footwear is comfortable as a fall during pregnancy can harm your baby.
- Take complete care of all your intake and activities especially during the first 8 weeks of pregnancy, this is time when the important organs develop
Check our pregnancy tips which will help you to take necessary precautions during pregnancy.